Tuesday, November 8, 2011

National Race to End Women’s Cancer 2011

November 8, 2011 – This past Sunday, November 6, 2011, I was privileged to attend the National Race to End Women's Cancer. I was invited by Pam, a fellow high school graduate of Osbourn Park High School, to be part of her team "I Dream of Jeanie". It was a nice sunny brisk morning with a very large crowd of people from all over the country attending the event. Many had stores on how they got there. Some were there to honor loved ones, some cancer survivors, some still battling cancer and some for support. I was there to help celebrated the life of Pam's mother, Jeanie Nay Watson, who passed away from battling cancer. The love and encouragement from the attendees, onlookers, police, and support personnel could be felt in their cheers of encouragement. As we walked by, many cheered "Go team I dream of Jeanie", they clapped, nodded their heads in encouragement and some took pictures and video. The rout started in front of the Old Posts Office Pavilion, went up Pennsylvania Avenue, near the Capitol and wound its way back to the Old Post Office. The highlight of the race had to be nearing the finish line as the announcer said "Here comes Team I Dream of Jeanie, thank you for all your support…" Crossing the line was emotional as I have lost my mother who battled cancer for many years eventually passing away from the disease. After crossing the line Pam broke down as this race meant a lot to her. I've come to realize that cancer not only hurts the victim but also affects the family, loved ones and friends. It's a tough road filled with pain and hopefulness that everything will get better. If anyone had to be there for a parent or loved one can truly understand what it's like rushing to the hospital late at night because something went wrong. I'm happy I lived close enough to be a support for my mother who battled cancer and my father who needed the strength to cope with the situation.
I want to thank Mike, Teresa, Christina and Beth for showing up to making Pam's race a success. I also want to thank all the people and organizations that work day in and day out to help find a cure to end this disease.
It was great getting together with people I have not seen in over 20 years and making new friends. If you have not given to any causes I would encourage you to help support ending cancer. I will be running this race next year in Washington D.C. as part of Team I Dream of Jeanie and I will be asking the readers of GreenNews4U to help raise money for team I Dream of Jeanie.

Melvin Wylie

No comments:

Post a Comment